The National Veterans Wheelchair Games is right here in Richmond Virginia. Click to get more information: Wheelchair Games Events
- A multi-event sports and rehabilitation program for military service veterans who use wheelchairs for sports competition due to spinal cord injuries, amputations or certain neurological problems. Attracting more than 500 athletes each year, the National Veterans Wheelchair Games is the largest annual wheelchair sports event in the world.
- Richmond, Virginia.
- June 25-30, 2012
- The presenters of this event are committed to improving the quality of life for veterans with disabilities and fostering better health through sports competition. While past Games have produced a number of national and world-class champions, the Games also provide opportunities for newly-disabled veterans to gain sports skills and be exposed to other wheelchair athletes. Typically, one quarter of the competitors have never before participated in any type of organized wheelchair sports competition.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and Paralyzed Veterans of America (PVA), with financial assistance from corporate, civic and veteran service organizations.
- Hunter Holmes McGuire (Richmond) VA Medical Center.
- Competitive events at the National Veterans Wheelchair Games include air guns, archery, basketball, bowling, field events, handcycling, a motorized wheelchair rally, nine-ball, power soccer, quad rugby, slalom, softball, swimming, table tennis, track, trapshooting and weightlifting Athletes compete in all events against others with similar athletic ability, competitive experience or age.
- Free. The public is most welcome.
- Alison Faulk, Local Host Coordinator, (804) 675-5265
- Mary Hobbs, Paralyzed Veterans of America Sports and Recreation Program, 800-424-8200, ext. 752, or 202-416-7752
Dates: June 25 – June 30, 2012
Host Medical Center: Hunter Holmes McGuire VA Medical Center – Richmond, Virginia
2012 NVWG Kids Day
Each year, our Veteran athletes take the opportunity to mentor disabled children from the local community and to show them that “disability” does not need to equal “disadvantage”. Learn more.
Governing Bodies, Associations, and Clubs
If you are interested in learning more about the events that make up the National Veterans Wheelchair Games, these are the organizations that guide the competition and can provide the information to help prepare you to excel at the Games.
- National Veterans Sports Programs & Special Events
- Air Rifle – International Paralympic Committee
- Archery – Disabled Archery USA
- Basketball – National Wheelchair Basketball Association
- Bowling – American Wheelchair Bowling Association
- Field Events – Wheelchair & Ambulatory Sports, USA
- Handcycling – United States Handcycling Federation
- Nine Ball – National Wheelchair Poolplayer Association
- Power Soccer – US Power Soccer Association
- Quad Rugby – United States Quad Rugby Association
- Softball – National Wheelchair Softball Association
- Swimming – Wheelchair & Ambulatory Sports, USA
- Track – Wheelchair & Ambulatory Sports, USA
- Weight Lifting – Wheelchair & Ambulatory Sports, USA
- Trap Shooting – PVA Sports and Recreation – Andy McDonald
- Boccia – Exhibition Clinic in the 32nd National Veterans Wheelchair Games
- Blaze Sports America